Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Sorry, I took an extra week of "recovery"; thus, the lateness of this post.

One of the nice things about being both a professor and a student is that after each semester you can start anew again. We get to clean the decks and prepare to start a new semester. Not all jobs are that way.

Coming out of college in the early 1980s I worked as an accountant for a grain company. In that job we had to "run the books" monthly, creating and reconciling a number of statements, including the profit and loss. While this process would clean out many issues, many others remained for the next month. Rarely, was there a time of starting anew, as legacy problems impacted new months and new projects. Now every year the auditors showed up and evenutally there would be decisions made on write-offs that did leave some feeling of starting somewhat fresh.

But not like teaching. I will be spending the next few weeks reflecting on what was done this past semester and since I will likely teach these courses again, starting fresh with new students and some ideas on how to improve.

And for the next several weeks, I will have more time to explore ideas and readings related to management, business, history, etc. I will try in my posts over this time period to share the more interesting parts of this study with you.

No comments: