Sunday, October 21, 2007

Working Part III

Just to finish my thread on why people work . . . last post I made the easy claim that they love the high of performing or doing the work. Duh! But my lovely wife (an expert in most thing involving human nature) asked a better question -- why do so many people choose a vocation they do not love?

One answer could be that there are lots of bad jobs out there, or that there just aren't enough good ones available. True enough, though this can be fixed in many cases by better management (the one thing I can assert over my wife), as too many managers prefer to give people little jobs or they don't do enough to create a winning atmosphere (everyone likes to work for a winner).

My wife or my oldest daughter (both can claim it) had a better answer to the question, saying that too often people just never figure out their calling. College graduates should have the most leverage to follow their calling so that they can do that which they love and do well. My only advice college students: Don't count being a good student a calling. In fact, (and as a teacher I love good students) I often feel students whose primary focus is simply making good grades can handicap themselves from actually pursing their . . . calling.

It is not my idea of even a good job, but my wife's cousin (see earlier post on Allison Briner), sans college degree, is doing something she loves and is good at. And I am very happy for her because of that. My hope for my students at Rockhurst is no different.

No comments: