Sunday, August 8, 2010

Converse All Stars

Back in the early to mid-1970s when I played high school basketball, the canvass high top sneaker was a popular shoe for serious ball players. But soon after that the canvass shoes were replaced by the much better built (support and traction) and designed (leather) next generation shoes -- by the mid 80s Nike had established the Air Jordan's, which fetched a healthy sum of money.


Anyway, the Converse All-Star canvass I figured had gone the way of the dinosaur, though I admit seeing them worn by young people who definitely were not ball players. A few weeks ago as I took my 13-year old daughter shoe shopping we were discussing options she and her friends look for in shoes and the Converse high tops came up -- THIS was now fully immersed in shoe fashion for teenage girls and boys (not to mention other demographics including toddlers). My daughter did not buy the shoes, but on a flight to San Francisco last month I sat next to a young girl wearing -- red Converse high tops. Of course, my impression is probably predictable: "How the heck does this shoe have any demand!"


You have to love American capitalism (or I should say global capitalism). A shoe brand started in 1917 with the original Converse All-Stars, rejuvenated mid-century by the celebrity of Chuck Taylor, and apparently completely washed up by the mid 70s with advent of leather sneakers is repackaged and marketed for a new purpose -- design footwear ("ugly" design footwear). And apparently fetching about $45 a pair -- for 2-ply canvass and rubber. Interestingly, a few years ago the company (now owned by Nike) changed the design to 1-ply canvass creating a different texture and look. Not surprisingly, customers rebelled. They weren't buying the shoes for their quality -- it was the look! Much like Coca Cola coming out with new coke because they thought it was about taste that people drank Coke.


With my new awareness, I will be taking a look on the Rockhurst campus this year looking for my old High School "sweat-heart" on the feet of 21st Century coeds that won't be looking for any kind of performance from them except their quirky retro style (the style was popularized apparently by punk bands and then more regular celebrities). Another example that markets are created not discovered.

No comments: