Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Confidence in the Product

I have been away for a few weeks recovering from surgery that has affected my ability to sit down -- and type a blog.

One way to advertise your product is to use it. I have always been troubled by politicians that promote and encourage public schools only to send their children to private ones. Such action is an admission that the product they are peddling is not all that good.

As the school year is down to the last few days, I must share my use of the product I am part of -- a Rockhurst eduction. My daughter has just completed her freshman year (literally just finished an hour ago) and I have re-learned some things I should have already known.

First, faculty in a variety of departments -- science, math, psychology, English, communication, history, and theology -- have been excellent. This year I have become a silent admirer of the work of Dr. Kovich, Dr. Felzien, Dr. Shorter, Dr. Bicek, Dr. Madison, Dr. Samonte, Dr. Miller et al. They know their subjects, but are focused on students first.

Second, there are organizations and support systems for students to find how they fit. Dr. Martin's work with the Honors Program is one example. Even though my daughter commuted this year -- which can be disconnecting -- she was able to plug into important campus supports as they were needed.

I am gratified that she enjoys going to school where her father works -- probably her feeling is in part because she knows she won't take any of my courses.

No comments: