Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Dr. Wheeler

A week ago Friday I had the pleasure to interview students for the our annaul competitive scholars event. It was a pleasure because every one of the 14 students I saw were top notch and I was very glad they were considering Rockhurst.

It was also my pleasure because I was able to work with Dr. James Wheeler. In our interviews everyone introduced themselves including the fauclty interviewers. I told the students as way of introduction I had been with Rockhurst for nearly 15 years . . . Dr. Wheeler, silent on the subject at first, finally fessed that he had been at Rockhurst for 53 years. I knew Dr. Wheeler a bit but that number still startled me.

Anyway, Dr. Wheeler is still great with these MUCH younger students. He asked questions about what these kids were passionate about -- one girl gave a moving account of why exactly she wanted to go into nursing. Come to find out he received the 2nd Ph.D. at UMKC for Chemistry. And he still loves teaching. The fact that he has been here so long is not that relevant to him -- but working with students certainly is.

No comments: